Learn Photography? Quit Smoking? Become a better programmer? Whatever you’ve decided to achieve next year that you’re probably going to fail, and that list of beautiful, aspirational goals is staying unfulfilled, Right!
For this very reason some people avoid to make any resolutions altogether. We came up with some mindful tricks to keep your resolution alive. This year you might actually have a chance, with help from a few tricks of the mind.
British psychologist Richard Wiseman has done several surveys on willpower – in 2007 he tracked the success of 3,000 people’s New Year’s resolutions, only to find that a mere 12% of them managed to achieve what they had set out to do. He looked into what the successful people were doing differently. And based on their experience, devised a list of tricks for us to keep our resolutions alive.
1) If possible, make only one resolution – changing a lot of things at once is more difficult.
2) Think about your resolutions in advance, and spend some time to reflect on them.
3) Don’t re-visit past failures, but focus on new resolutions instead.
4) Focus on what you really want – don’t just go with what’s trendy.
5) Break your goal into manageable, concrete steps with specific deadlines.
6) Go public – tell your friends, family, social networks about your goals, which will increase your fear of failure and also garner support.
7) Create a checklist focusing on how much better your life will be once you’ve achieved your goals.
8) Whenever you make progress on the steps towards your goal, give yourself a small reward.
9) Document your journey – charts, spreadsheets, journals and other means of tracking your progress will keep it concrete.
10) Don’t beat yourself up and quit if you sometimes revert to old habits – treat it as a temporary setback.
As Wiseman explained on his blog back in 2013, your goals should be small and manageable, you should document your success, tell others about your intentions, and, importantly, not beat yourself up for failing.
So, Make a Resolution for this New Year 2016.
Bisket Raja wishing you a Very Happy New Year and Good Luck in 2016 🙂